I am 90 days sober today, and have never felt better!! It has been the most beautiful day, surrounded by sober support and so much love. I am feeling so blessed 🙂
Still being new in recovery, I find that I learn MANY valuable lessons each day … here are just a few things to encourage others that are new to this, too:
– God is so much bigger than our problems … we could never do this on our own
– You may be changing, but life still goes on … just because you are different doesn’t mean anyone else is going to be. Our methods of coping are different now … we have to learn how to DEAL with people and problems instead of using alcohol as our way out
– You will be completely amazed with yourself every day that you go without a drink … regardless of what kind of day you’ve had, the fact that you don’t have to pick up a drink over it is so empowering
– Boundaries are crucial to your success at staying sober … avoiding situations where you are not safe is SO important. If you have to question whether or not you should do something, it’s probably NOT a good idea. Don’t be afraid to say no – you need to take care of yourself first, or you won’t be any good to anyone else. If you don’t know what to do, don’t do anything at all…
– Days seem SO MUCH LONGER without drinking!!! Make those un-wasted (no pun intended) hours useful … start doing things that you enjoy and learn how to fill that time with something HEALTHY for you, both physically and emotionally
– Each day is a gift, that’s why they call it the “present” … don’t take anything for granted. Every day you are sober, you have endless opportunities to change your life and the lives of others. Stay in the present, and enjoy BEING present – it is such a gift
– Never be afraid to ask for help
– Remind yourself every day of the things you have to be grateful for … it can turn a terrible day into a wonderful one if you keep an attitude of gratitude
– Do not have any expectations … you will be amazed by the gifts you receive. Already in 90 days, I have been blessed beyond anything I ever could have imagined!!
– Early sobriety is such an emotional roller coaster – I’ve laughed and cried more than ever before. Don’t be afraid to FEEL – it is a beautiful thing. Even when the going gets tough, dealing with life on life’s terms is always a better alternative to drowning your sorrows with alcohol. Regardless of how drunk you get, your problems will still be there tomorrow. In learning how to work through our issues without drinking, we can live in the solution instead
– Be proud!! This is not EASY. Many people never make it this far … don’t be too hard on yourself!!!
– Keep things simple … one day at a time. It is too difficult and daunting to look far ahead and think about the rest of your life without a drink. If you don’t pick up a drink, one day at a time, you never have to worry about tomorrow!
I am so grateful for everyone that has loved and supported me so far on this chapter of my life. Things have not been easy, but drinking would not make them any easier!! I treasure my sobriety … it is such a gift. I am finally LIVING! It is my hope and prayer that everyone who suffers as I did can know the peace and serenity I have today 🙂